Buying local results in many benefits for a community and a community’s economy. In fact, if independent businesses regained their 1990 market shares, it would create 200,000 new small businesses, generate nearly $300 billion in revenues, and employ more than 1.6 million American workers. If consumers buy local, they can help their neighborhoods along with local businesses. Local businesses and entrepreneurs benefit the community by providing jobs, new ideas, quality service, and local services. Check out some of the best reasons to buy local products and services.
1. Small businesses employ 77 million Americans. More jobs result from buying local because local businesses employ the most workers in the U.S.. Buying local supports current jobs in the community and results in new jobs in the area. Local businesses not only support jobs, but they help to fund many community resources such as libraries, parks, schools, and special events.
2. Consumers help their communities when they shop at local businesses in their area compared to traveling long distances to shop. By shopping near their homes, more of the profits and taxes are returned to the local community itself. The companies and the community will see the benefits from this process. The money can be spent more efficiently and productively within the community.
3. Entrepreneurs benefit when consumers buy local. Entrepreneurship is important for innovation and can improve the economy. Entrepreneurs help local areas as well as the nation by providing new and innovative ideas and jobs to help the economy. Entrepreneurs make positive differences within society and help create relationships in the local communities.
4. Travel and transportation costs can decrease. Instead of spending money to transport goods and services, such as fruits and vegetables, local businesses can provide them. Money can be saved when products and services are not shipped long distances. This not only helps the economy, but it also helps the environment and local resources. The process helps reduce pollution and provide better habitats for local wildlife.
5. Buying local can help the community stay productive in the future. When consumers buy local, they can keep profits within the community and help local businesses prosper. By buying near their homes, consumers support the beneficial local companies that provide essential and convenient products and services.
These are just a few reasons that explain how consumers can help their local communities and economies if they buy local. Buying local goods and services can also ensure the availability of more diverse products and services, enhance community relationships, and reduce the negative impact on the environment such as by reducing transportation and pollution. Help the community and buy local products and services!
-Guest Post, Written by Lynn Black